Search interesting materials

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Blogger needs a better way to deal with spammers

I just wasted effort deleting eight spam comments left by `sharegyan'. Blogger urgently needs to improve their support for deterring spam:
  • When new comments come up, the blog author(s) should get a single page showing all recent comments where it's easy to checkbox a few and punch a single button "delete". This would eliminate the need to separately navigate for deletion of each of the eight comments.
  • It should be possible to blacklist a particular author of comments, so that one never has to deal with that source of spam again.
I'm zealous about deleting all spam comments. I hope that if I put out a credible deterrent, the rational spammer should find it efficient to not waste time spamming this blog. Sharegyan, you need to hire more rational staff.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ajay - I spend a ton of time doing this myself. Have now enabled comment moderation - something I hate to do - because of the volume of spam at my blog. Yes, sharegyan is a repeat offender :)

    I'm planning to move to wordpress because they have an automatic spam catching plugin. That will happen sometime in the next decade.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Comments are moderated. Only civilised conversation is permitted on this blog. Criticism is perfectly okay; uncivilised language is not. We delete any comment which is spam, has personal attacks against anyone, or uses foul language. We delete any comment which does not contribute to the intellectual discussion about the blog article in question.

LaTeX mathematics works. This means that if you want to say $10 you have to say \$10.